Anda di halaman 1dari 1

10A-THE PURCELL REGISTER, Thursday, March 28, 2013


Start fresh with fingerlings
Sean Hubbard Communications Specialist

Voting for incapacitated

Registered voters in McClain County who become physically incapacitated after 5 p .m. Tuesday, March 26, won't have to miss the April 2, 2013 Municipal Election/Annual School Runoff, County Election Board Secretary Marilyn McReynolds said today. McReynolds said state law permits registered voters who will be unable to go to the polls because they became incapacitated after 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, to vote on an emergency basis. "Physical incapacitation" includes a variety of conditions, injury, illness, childbirth, that prevent a person from voting in person at the polls on election day. "If you think that you or someone you know fits into this category, contact the County Election Board office at 5273121 as soon as possible for more information," McReynolds said.

Some Oklahomans consider a day at the pond with a good companion, a cold beverage and fish nibbling at the hook a splash of heaven. Before that time can come, however, some work has to be invested. When starting from scratch in creating the fishing pond of your dreams, Marley Beem, Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension aquaculture specialist, said the first step is to become educated about pond management. What type offish do you want in your pond? Will they work in the size and type of pond you have? How do you deal with pond problems such as muddiness or excessive plant growth? "Information on many pond management topics, including trophy bass, catfish only ponds and hybrid bluegill, can be found in 'Managing Pond Fisheries in Oklahoma' ," Beem said. A limited supply of this publication is available from Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Fisheries Division in Oklahoma City. Beem said the information would be posted online once the supply is exhausted. When stocking your pond for the first time, Beem suggested

using fingerlings. However, if there is already a fish population, visit with Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation biologists about other options. Stocked fingerlings usually become food for large bass already in the pond. Fish for stocking a fishing pond can either be purchased from a private hatchery or be obtained from ODWC without cost. An application for free largemouth bass, bluegill and channel catfish fingerlings from state hatcheries in Byron, Durant, Medicine Park or Holdenville must be completed before June to receive fish this year. An application can be filled out only once a pond owner meets ODWC requirements and accepts certain conditions. The pond owner must have a current fishing license, along with a pond of at least a halfacre with absolutely no fish, Beem said. Also, game rangers are allowed to check anglers for fishing licenses but owners are not required to let the public fish in their ponds, unless part of the pond is on public property. For an application or more information on ODWC pond stocking, visit . htm. There may be many reasons why a person would prefer

purchasing fish from a private hatchery. "Buying fingerlings from private hatcheries gives pond owners the option of stocking other fish species and getting larger size fingerlings," Beem said. "It pays to visit the hatchery before you buy, to inspect the fish you'll be buying." Whichever path is chosen to stock a new pond with fingerlings, certain precautions must be taken. "Observe the fingerlings closely and check for any signs of disease," Beem said. "Not all sick fish will show disease signs, so it may be safest to reject all of them if some appear sick." Some signs of ailing fish are loss of balance, hanging near the surface, bulging eyes, swollen or shrunken stomach, sores and cotton-like growth, Beem said. "There may be undesirable fish mixed into your fingerlings," Beem warned. "Take care not to introduce such problem fish into your pond by checking closely for unknown fish." More information on fingerlings and farm pond management is available through your county Extension office or by looking at OSU factsheet "CR9205 , Fingerlings for Pond Stocking."


I'd like to touch on a couple of driving movements that have been brought to my attention. Remember when you are about to enter onto the interstate the traffic you are merging into is averaging 70 m.p.h. the speed is equal to driving the distance of a football field every three seconds. As we accelerate on the entry lane, we have to look over our shoulder and use our mirrors, planning when it is safe to enter the highway. Realize you are in entry and acceleration mode going from around 25 m.p.h. to 60-70 m.p.h. Usually vehicles will move over to allow you to merge. When there is a cluster of vehicles, you need to decelerate and allow for a safe merge. We encourage you to yield the right-of-way. When drivers don't do this it sometimes causes accidents. This can lead to injuries, death or at least a citation for failure to yield. Nobody wants a citation as they cost money, raise insurance rates and lost time from work. An attitude disregarding others is not a safe way to drive.. That is not the safe way to drive. Until next time, State Troopers want you to buckle up and drive safely to arrive home to your loved ones.


Trooper P.L. "Flipper" Ellyson

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

Nominations open for annual AARP Indian Elder Honors

Recognizing the important impact Indian elders have on the fabric of the state, AARP Oklahoma will once again celebrate Indian elders at its Fifth Annual Indian Elder Honors. The association has announced it is accepting nominations for the Fifth Annual AARP Oklahoma Indian Elder Honors now through June 30. Nominations can be made online at or by mail. "Every year, AARP brings together members from all Oklahoma tribes and nations for a celebration honoring Indian Elders in a spirit of peace and harmony," said AARP Volunteer Tee Edwards, a member of the Chickasaw nation. "It's an amazing night when AARP connects us to people with the same shared interest and we celebrate our elders." Among last year's honorees was a 100-year old Comanche finger-weaving artist, the last surviving son of Oklahoma great Jim Thorpe, educators, ministers and dancers. "This event is all about celebrating the extraordinary contribution Indian elders many of whom have never been recognized before have had on their families and the people around them." Edwards said. "We work very hard to have at least one person from each of the 39 Oklahoma tribes and nations honored every year." All nominees must be an enrolled member of a federally-recognized Oklahoma tribe or nation and must be living. Those wishing to submit a nomination can mail an essay detailing how the nominee has impacted their tribe or community, along with a non-returnable photo, to AARP Indian Elder Honors, 126 N. Bryant, Edmond, OK, 73012. Nominations can also be submitted online by visiting Deadline for nomination is June 30. For more information about the AARP Indian Elder Honors, contact Mashell Sourjohn at 405-715-4474.

OKC man killed in accident

Driver backed into oncoming traffic
A 63-year-old Oklahoma City man was killed early Monday on the H.E. Bailey Turnpike in northern McClain County when he stopped his car in the westbound lane and backed into oncoming traffic. Phillip G. Prestriedge died at the scene from massive injuries, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. Trooper Grant Byrns reported the fatality accident occurred at 3:17 a.m. at mile marker 107. Prestriedge, driving a 2006 Nissan , was struck from the rear by a 2005 Freightliner driven by James G. Parker, 64, of Altus. Parker wasn't injured. Assisting Byrns at the scene were Troopers David Miner and Jansen Idlett and the Newcastle police and fire departments.




McClain-Garvin baby diaper drive

The McClain-Garvin County Youth and Family Center (MGCYFC) is once again seeking donations to assist in providing emergency diapers, wipes and other such necessities to Garvin County families in need. The Healthy Beginnings Program's (at MGCYFC) ongoing "Bare Baby Bottom Diaper Drive" provides these items to families on an emergency basis . These items are purchased or provided to families in the community and are made possible by the generosity of donors and local grants. The cost of parenting children is hard on the wallet, especially if you have an infant or toddler. Childcare, food, formula, clothing, toiletries, diapers, wet wipes, car seat, toys and books, crib, baby monitor, blankets and strollers are just some of the possible expenses. The mean income for a household in McClain County is approximately $24,898. Out of that income, approximately $5 ,000 to $10,000 will be spent on a baby in the first year. The large range depends greatly on the childcare cost. The US Department of Health and Human Services give the poverty guideline of $23,550 for a family of four. Once you substract the average expenses listed above, families with infants/toddlers would be classified as living well below the poverty level. The Corporation for Enterprise Development states that almost half of Oklahomans are living paycheck to paycheck. For these families, when a crisis arises, such as the family car breaking down or a spike in utilities due to weather, there are not emergency funds. Thus, they have to make tough choices and reallocate money that would normally be used to buy diapers and wipes. The emergency diapers that are available through your generosity and the Healthy Beginnings program help bridge this income/expense gap. The Healthy Beginnings program is a free and voluntary home based home education program that utilizes Parents As Teacher cirruculum to address child development and help parents' prepare children for school. If you are pregnant, 29 weeks or further along, or a parent of a child under one year of age, please give Betsy White a call and receive more information about the program. Betsy's contact information at the office is 405-238-9104, cell 405-255-4147 or betsywhite@ mcclaingarvinyouthandfamily. com . Donations of diapers can be made at the MGCYFC office at 118 South 2nd Street, at the OSU extension office, Rodney's Pizza Place or any Pioneer library in McClain County. Please make any monetary donation at the Purcell office or mail them to PO Box 349, Purcell, OK 73080. McClain-Garvin County Youth and Family Center is a 501c-3 Private Not-for-profit Corporation and all donations are tax deductible.

RENT-TO-OWN Portable OUTDOOR Buildings. Sheds, Storage Barns and MORE. No Credit Check. Low monthly payments. Free Delivery in 7 business days. 877-595-1875.

DRIVER - Qualify for any portion of $.03/mile quarterly bonus: $.01 Safety, $.01 Production, $.01 MPG. Two raises in 1st year. 3 months Recent OTR experience. 800-414-9569 EXP. FLATBED DRIVERS: Regional opportunities now open with plenty of freight & great pay! 800-277-0212 or ASAP 11 DRIVERS NEEDED Friendly Equip., Class A CDL Required. Recent CDL grads wanted. 877-2588782 OWNER OPERATORS. Class A CDL$2,500 Sign-On Bonus! Regional, Dedicated, Recession-proof freight with major grocery retailer. Lease purchase program with down payment assistance. 1 yr driving experience. Call Cornelius: 866-915-3910. Hablamos Espanol, Belinda 866-5662071. DRIVERS OTR DRIVERS Sign On Bonus. $1,000-$1,200, Up to 45 CPM, Full-time Positions with Benefits! Pet Policy, 0/0's Welcome! deBoer Transportation 800-825-8511 CALIFORNIA BOUND! Hiring 10 sharp girls and guys. Must be 18+ to apply. Lodging and transportation provided. 2 weeks paid training. For more information call 800-250-8975.

STEEL BUILDINGS for HOMES & Garages Save THOUSANDS, LOW monthly Payments, MAKE OFFER on Clearance Orders 40x60, 30x36, 25x30, 20x22 Cal Now! 1-800-9919251 Ashley

SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY CLAIMS. Saunders & Saunders Attorneys at Law. No Recovery No Fee. 1-800-259-8548. DRIS iF YOU USED THE MIRENA IUD between 2001-present and suffered perforation or embedment in the uterus requiring surgical removal, or had a child born with birth defects you may be entitled to compensation. Call Johnson Law and speak with female staff members. 1-800-535-5727.

Oklahoma voter ID law will be enforced

The "voter ID" law, approved by 74 percent of Oklahoma voters on Nov. 2, 2010, went into effect on July 1, 2011, County Election Board Secretary Marilyn McReynolds said today. "This new law requires all registered voters to show proof of identity in order to vote at the polling place on election day or to vote early at the County Election Board office," McReynolds said. According to McReynolds, the law is very specific about the kind of document that can be used for proof of identity. "Any item used for proof of identity for voting must have been issued by the federal government, the State of Oklahoma, or a federally recognized tribal government." In addition, the proof of identity must show the name of the person to whom it was issued, a photograph of the person, and must include an expiration date that is after the election date. The law also states that the person's name on a document used for proof of identity for voting must "substantially conform" to the person's name in the precinct registry. Some documents that may be presented as proof of identity for voting include an Oklahoma driver license, a state identification card, a passport, or a military identification. "Voters also may use the voter identification card they received by mail when they registered to vote," McReynolds said. These cards are allowed even though they do not include a photograph or an expiration date. "The voter identification card is provided to every voter free of charge when they register to vote. Replacement cards are also free of charge," she added. By law, state identification cards issued to persons who are 65 years old or older do not have expiration dates but are valid proof of identity for voting. A voter who does not have proof of identity that meets the requirements of the new law still may vote by provisional ballot. A provisional ballot is sealed inside an envelope instead of being inserted into the voting device. Information provided by the voter on an affidavit is investigated by election officials in the days following the election, and the ballot is either approved for counting or is rejected based on the outcome of that investigation. McReynolds said that voters can avoid proof of identity problems at the polling place by ensuring now that the name on their voter registration matches the name on their driver license or other proof of identity document or by always using the voter identification card issued by the County Election Board.

AIRLINES ARE HIRING Train for hands on Aviation Career. FAA approved program. Financial aid if qualified Job placement assistance. CALL Aviation Institute of Maintenance 866-802-6655. ATTEND COLLEGE ONLINE from Home. *Medical, *Business, *Criminal Justice, *Hospitality. Job placement assistance. Computer available. Financial Aid if qualified. SCHEV authorized. Call 866-579-2843. www. . CLASS A LICENSING in just 3 weeks. State & Government Funding, Financing and scholarships available. $40k to $50k first year income potential. or 1-888-5700230

ADVERTISE STATEWIDE! For more information or to place an ad, call Courtni at (405) 499-0035 or toll-free in OK at 1-888-815-2672.