Anda di halaman 1dari 38





O N TA R I O , C A N A D A

Table of Contents
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SERVICES ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 PROGRAMS AND SERVICES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ------------------------------------------------- 3 HOMEROOM-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4 CONTACT INFORMATION FOR ACADEMIC SCHOOLS --------------------------------------------------------------- 5 STUDENT SERVICES ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 6 E-MAIL ACCOUNTS --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6 STUDENT ID CARDS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6 THE STUDENT ASSOCIATION ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 7 COUNSELLING----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8 SECURITY--------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 9 STUDENT FITNESS CENTRE (YMCA) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 9 CAMPUS HEALTH CENTRE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 10 THE WRITING CENTRE-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 10 THE MATH CENTRE ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 10 THE NATIVE STUDENT CIRCLE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 10 CHAPLAINCY--------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 10 IMMIGRATION-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------11-14 Study Permit Extension------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 11 Off Campus Work Permit Program ------------------------------------------------------------------- 12 Co-op Programs------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 13 Post Graduate Work Permits -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 14 FINANCING YOUR STUDIES--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 15-16 Transferring Funds to Canada ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 15 Transferring Funds to Cover Tuition Fees---------------------------------------------------------- 15 Opening a Bank Account ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 16 Financial Aid ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 16 PERSONAL CARE ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 17-18 Clothing------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 17 Conversion References --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 17 Electrical Appliances ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18 TRANSPORTATION --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18-20 Kingston Transit ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18 VIA Rail------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 18 International Student Identity Card ------------------------------------------------------------------- 19 Long Distance Travel ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 19 Norman Rogers Airport---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20 HOUSING ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20-22 College Housing List ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20 Apartments ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20 Utilities & Internet ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 21 Television Services--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 22 Making Local Calls --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 22 Making International Calls ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 23 HOLIDAYS ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 23 CANADIAN CULTURE, CUSTOMS, AND LAWS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 24 Dealing with Culture Shock ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 25 USEFUL WEBSITES-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------26 REFERENCE MATERIALS-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------27 CANADIAN IMMIGRATION WEBSITES------------------------------------------------------------------------------------28 LEARNING IDIOMS----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------29-36


We are excited that you have chosen St. Lawrence College to advance your career goals. We are confident that your stay with us will be a happy one with new friends, great faculty, challenging courses and enriching experiences. The staff and faculty at St. Lawrence College are committed to helping you succeed. We know that you have many questions about moving to a new country, a new city and a new place of study. This booklet will provide you with useful information and introduce you to the Kingston community. We are here to help you; please do not hesitate to ask for any assistance you may require. We want you to succeed, enjoy yourself and graduate with fond memories of life at St. Lawrence College.

International Student Services

St. Lawrence College 100 Portsmouth Avenue, Room 00485 Kingston, Ontario K7L 5A6 Telephone: 613-544-5400 x 1478 Fax: 613-545-3943 Email:

Mr. Barry Keefe Director International Education Mr. Csar Balbuena Associate Director, International Education Mrs. Helen Chadwick International Student Advisor

Ext. 1678 Ext. 1244 Ext. 1180

International Student Services

The international student services team is dedicated to serving your needs and making your stay at St Lawrence College in Kingston enjoyable. We are proud to be your first connection to the school and the community. We know you have many questions, and we encourage you to ask them. It is important to us that you have access to all the services you need to make your stay in Canada a memorable one. Our services ensure that you have an easy and quick integration into the college system and the community in general. We offer seminars on a variety of topics, such as immigration and taxation, in order to provide you with current and relevant information about your studies in Canada. Your social life is also important to us. We want you to have fun while studying at St. Lawrence. We plan a series of meetings, events and other social activities that will link you with friends who share your interests. We work in conjunction with all the other student services to give you a customized service tailored to meet your specific needs. Come check out the bulletin board at the International Student Services to learn about new initiatives and to stay in touch.

Please take time to visit the International Student Services. Our staff is always happy to answer all your questions. We also have numerous information handouts that will be useful to you, such as:
9 9 9 9 9 9 Things to Do in Kingston Low Budget Shopping Looking for Accommodation Banking in Canada Travel Within Canada Telephone and Long Distance Services 9 9 9 9 9 9 Getting Around Kingston Cultural Shock and Canadian Customs Applying For a Temporary Resident Visa Renewing Your Study Permit Applying For a Work Permit Study & Work abroad programs

The International Student Services office is located in Room 00485

Programs and Services for International Students

Social Activities The International Friendship Family Program provides a mean whereby international students and Canadian families are brought together in meaningful cross-cultural relationships.
Why should you join the program? It gives you an opportunity to share your culture and world with a Canadian family. It will also give you the opportunity to create Canadian connection that can lead to a friendship that could last a lifetime. What will I do? This is completely up to you and your Canadian family: going to a cultural event (festival, parade, celebration) sightseeing, studying, sports, movies, eating out, going for a walk, etc. What do students gain by participating? Making new friends A chance to improve your English A chance to share your own culture and learn about the Canadian culture.

How May I Join? The International Family Friendship Program registration forms are available at the International Student Services (Room 00485) For more information, please contact: International Student Services Assistant: email: Tel: 613-544-5400 Ext. 1478 Or Helen Chadwick, International Student Advisor E-mail: Tel: 613-544-5400 Ext. 1180

Out of town trips and social gatherings Events, trips and dates will be posted at the International Office Bulleting Board and you will be notified by e-mail too. Be sure to give us your most current e-mail address.
During the academic year, the Student Association and St. Lawrence College Residence offers a variety of oneday trips to the most exiting cities in Canada. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are waiting for you, so please do not hesitate to take these opportunities. Please contact the Student Association and St. Lawrence College Residence for more information about schedules and cost.

THE HOMEROOM provides a place and time for you to practice and improve your conversational and academic English with qualified ESL teachers. Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM Wednesday from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM Located in Room 00460
Throughout the year various seminars and workshops will be offered emphasizing specific skills including: Presentation skills Grammar resume writing Debating skills Job interview skills Essay writing Reading skills

You can also bring your homework and you can get assistance with understanding course assignments and professors instructions.
There is no cost and everyone is welcome. Come for half an hour; come for three hours. Its your choice!

A variety of Seminars and Workshops will be offered during the Fall and Winter semesters. Information will be posted on the International Student Services Bulletin Board and an e-mail will be sent to you. Topics include: Income Tax Preparation; Off-Campus Work Permit; Post-Graduate Work Permit and others.

Contact Information for Academic Schools

Some student services are only offered within the academic school of your program. If you require any of the following services, you must go to the office of your academic school (contacts listed below).
Fee Payment and Registration Change of Address and/or Name Withdrawals/refunds full-time and part-time students in day-time courses Timetables/Booklists Tutoring Services Unofficial transcripts Enrolment Letter or Student Status Letter Application for Advanced Level Entry Course Outline Requests T2202A replacements

School of Applied Arts and Human Studies Phone: 613-544-5400 ext. 1483 Fax: 613-545-3944 Email: Room #44100 School of Business Tel: 613-544-5400 extension 1480 Fax: 613-545-3935 Email: Room # 12060 School of Computer Engineering and Technology Phone: 613-544-5400 ext. 1481 Fax 613-545-3913 Email: Room #02200 School of Health Sciences Phone: 613-544-5400 ext. 1482 Fax 613-545-3915 Email: Room #11670 School of Skilled Trades and Tourism Phone: 613-544- 5400 ext. 1481 Fax 613-545-3913 Email: Room #02200

Student Services
Student Services, located near the main entrance of the college, provides services such as testing centre fees, daycare fees, bus pass replacement, student ID card replacement, official transcripts, student life/athletics, counselling and disability services and job bursaries.

Need to make some money?

As an international student, you are able to work on campus. There are a limited number of student bursary jobs available. Job postings are listed on the St. Lawrence College website and the job board located in the hall between the bookstore and Student Services. During the school term, a bursary job allows you to work up to a maximum of 12 hours per week. During the summer term, (if you are not attending classes) you are able to work up to a maximum of 35 hours per week.

Check out the job board for Student Bursary Job postings! You can also check with the Cafeteria, Book Store, Health Centre and Residence for part-time jobs.
International Students can also work off-campus if they have been studying in Canada for at least six months. See page 12 for more information.

Canadian immigration regulations are often changing. Check with our office for current information.

E-mail Accounts
Once you become a student at St. Lawrence College, you will have access to the St. Lawrence College CONNECT email system. Through this email system, you will be updated on student events, program news and other important information. CONNECT also offers other tools such as an online calendar, address book and personal to do list.

You will receive important information from the college to this e-mail account. It is essential that you check it routinely.
You can access this email account from the college at To login, your user name is the first initial of your first name followed by your full last name and your day of birth (2 digits) @ For example, John Smith born on June 2 would have the address of Your default password for the student e-mail system will be the digit 0 immediately followed by the last 7 digits of your student number. For example, the password for John Smith whose student number is 1234567, would be 01234567.

Student ID Cards
The student ID card is issued to you as a full time student when you come to St. Lawrence College. It is kept for the duration of your studies and is to be used only by the person to whom it is issued. A fee is charged to replace lost or damaged cards. The cards may be used for identification purposes (student discount at cinemas) and for the campus services listed below. You may also need to present your ID card when writing tests on campus.

Library Services
Library staff scans the bar code on the front of the student card to enable library borrowing privileges.

Photocopying Services
You may add value to your student card using the Cash Card Manager 1040 or Mini Manager 1045 (Black Boxes or Value Adding Stations). Your card is equipped with a magnetic strip that allows money to be added to the card. You can then use your card on any photocopier that has a swipe card reader.

Health Insurance Coverage

Comprehensive Health Insurance is included with your tuition fees. Pick up your health insurance card and a description of your policy at the International Student Services.

Meal Plan
You can use your student card to administer a Cafeteria Meal Plan. You must contact Browns Fine Foods to purchase a meal plan for the Kingston campus cafeteria.

Residence Access
Your student ID card number must be programmed by the Residence staff to allow access to the Residence. Your student card is used for entry by inserting it into the card readers located at the front and back entrances.

Macintosh Computer Laboratory Access

Your academic school must authorize access to the Macintosh Laboratory.

Bus Passes
Students authorized to receive a bus pass will have the current terms bus sticker affixed to their student card at the beginning of each term.

Be sure to renew your bus pass every semester at the Student Association

The Student Association

The Student Association (SA) is the official voice of the students on campus. As a full or part-time student at St Lawrence College, you are a member of the student association. The association sponsors several organized groups & clubs such as: The Nomad (your campus newspaper) Mature Student Group Music Club Native Student Circle Business Marketing Competition Greg Awards Varsity and Intramural Athletics. Special annual and on-going activities organized by the Student Association include: Used Book and CD sales, Orientation events, Childrens Christmas Party, Spirit Week events, and social events off campus.

Counsellors are available to all students at St. Lawrence College. Counsellors want to help you succeed while you are at St. Lawrence College. If you have a concern or issue that is personal, financial, academic and career related that is to difficult to handle alone, it could interfere with your educational goals. Counsellors at St. Lawrence College will be happy to work with you to explore possible solutions. All discussions are kept strictly confidential. You may contact them by phone. The phone numbers are listed below for each campus. Brockville: 613-345-0660 ext 3154 Cornwall: 613-933-6080 ext 2227 Kingston: 613-544-5400 ext 1287/1593

The Student Centre, operated by the Student Association, is the living room of the College campus. It contains the common lounges, games room, computer labs, The Nomad office, music club booth, campus radio station, and your Student Government office. The common lounge offers a comfortable and spacious area where you can meet and make friends, watch T.V. and relax. The Student Centre is also your source of information on many interesting student events that happen throughout the day and evening. They arrange table bookings for student events and create advertisements to promote these activities.

Student Centre Operating Hours

Monday to Thursday Friday Saturday 8am 8am 10am - 9pm - 4pm - 3pm

The Student Centre offers many other services including computers for student use, housing lists, copy centre print services, faxing, resume printing, locker rentals, second hand CD and textbook sales and the student food bank.

The Nomad, the campus newspaper, is operated entirely by students of SLC. Currently, it is published once a month, 8 times per academic year. The Nomad covers all of the stories that directly affect student life including current events, news, sports and entertainment issues. The Nomad accepts submissions from all Kingston students and encourages participation from anyone who is interested in joining their team. For more information, visit the Nomad office at the SA or contact:

Tel: 613-544-5400 ext. 1357 Email: CRSL Radio

This is St. Lawrence College's very own broadcasting centre. CRSL is always looking for students who are interested in giving themselves a louder voice and have an appreciation for music. Get involved with CRSL- For more information, call 613-544-5400 ext.1369.

Food For Thought (Campus Food Bank)

The Food for Thought Program has been set up for the students of SLC Kingston as an emergency food bank. Students and staff graciously donate non-perishable products. Contact a counsellor at the Student Association for more information. The Student Association belongs to all students so feel free to get involved in the activities, and take full advantage of the many services they have to offer. Dont miss out of the fun! For more information, call 613- 544-5400 extension 1502 or visit the Student Association website, and then click Campus Life > Student Representation > Kingston.

In order to preserve and enjoy the freedom of access to facilities and resources on campus, we must take care to protect ourselves. All security related matters should be directed promptly to the Physical Resources Department. Personal safety is viewed by many as being common sense. However, we sometimes forget to stop and consider our own actions. As individuals, we can take steps to lessen the likelihood of becoming victims of theft, vandalism or assault. Throughout the college, there are blue security call buttons. If for any reason you feel uncomfortable or need assistance, you can press this button to alert security. It will send a silent alarm to the security office to inform them of your location, where they can then assist you.

Safety Tips:
Never walk alone Tell people where you are going, how you are getting there, and when youll be back. Be aware of your surroundings. Have your keys ready before you get into your car. Take advantage of safety programs like St. Lawrence College Student Walker Patrol.

Student Walker Patrol Kingston Campus

The Student Walker Patrol is a student run program with an objective to provide students and staff with a safe escort on campus. It also provides constant patrol of the college grounds. The patrol has direct communication with campus security, and if necessary, can contact police, fire and ambulance.

Student Fitness Centre (YMCA)

The Kingston Family YMCA in partnership with St. Lawrence College operates the Student Fitness Centre. The centre boasts a 6500 square foot conditioning area, 2000 square foot aerobics studio, two international-size squash courts, as well as change rooms, lockers and shower facilities. Conditioning Area
The conditioning area is equipped with Cardiovascular conditioning equipment including treadmills, cross trainers, stationary bikes, rowing machines, a hydraulic rock climbing wall, selective weight and free weight machinery, resistance and core training equipment. Certified strength trainers are also available to answer your questions and provide you with helpful tips.

Aerobics Studio
The aerobics studio offers 20 classes every week in Ball/Sculpt, Box Action, Cyclefit, Yoga, Hip Hop, Muay Thai, Power Cardio, Pilates, Step and Thai Chi. Full-time students of the College have full access to the YMCA fitness facility on campus, the use of the pool at YMCA Beechgrove Campus and occasional access to all YMCA facilities across Canada and around the world. (Some conditions/ restrictions may apply.) Contact the fitness centre at

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday Saturday and Sunday

6:30am - 10:00 pm 10:00am - 6:00 pm. 9

Campus Health Centre

The Campus health centre is located in room 01220 in the lower level of the link building. The centre offers clinical services, immunizations, massage therapy, athletic therapy, and physiotherapy. They also help to schedule appointments with physicians. For health-related concerns or questions about the college health insurance policy contact the health centre at 613-544-5400 ext. 1136 or send an email to

The Writing Centre

The Writing Centre assists students with reports, essays, summaries, case studies, etc. as required by their courses. You can also drop in to ask a quick question about your citations or a grammar point. The centre is located in the library. To make an appointment, call 613-544-5400 ext. 1693 or email

The Math Centre

The Math Centre is located in the library and offers students access to a professional math tutor fourteen hours a week. Dont struggle with your homework. Go and ask for some help!

The Native Student Circle

The Native Student Circle provides emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual support to native and non-native students during their academic years at St. Lawrence College. Their goal is to promote awareness and understanding of Aboriginal cultures and teachings. Activities include cultural celebrations, teaching circles, arts and craft workshops, womens circles, community kitchen, seasonal gardening, and community networking. For further information, contact: Student Services Office

Chaplaincy Services
The St. Lawrence College Chaplaincy service offers counselling and spiritual support for students. The team helps to connect you to local faith communities, services, and groups available on campus and in Kingston. They create programs on campus to meet your needs and inspire your spirit. They are also available to listen when you need help. The Chaplaincy office is located in room 22080 in the student centre. For further information contact: Marie Walker 613-544-5400 ext.1655 E-mail: The Chaplains are there to help you.


The Citizenship and Immigration Canada website has all the information about your status in Canada and provides the forms you need for a study permit, visa extension and renewal. Note: You should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the expiry date of your status in Canada.


The application is available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. Visit the International Student Services to obtain the required receipt to pay the applicable fee, or if you have any questions and need some help completing your forms.

Frequently Asked Questions

What information do I need to apply for an extension? Full details of why you want to stay longer; photocopies of passport pages showing name, date of birth, passport number, date of issue, date of expiry, and the stamp made by Canadian immigration officers upon the students most recent entry to Canada; Copy of your current study permit; Letter from the school indicating confirmation of acceptance and/or registration as a student, the program of study, start and completion date of the academic program, and any conditions of acceptance or registration. Original transcripts, or photocopies of official transcripts, of the last two semesters of study (if applicable); Proof of financial support (e.g. a letter from a Canadian bank indicating your name, account balance and account number;

What if my document expires before my application is processed? If you applied before your status expires, you can remain in Canada until your application is finalized, with the same conditions. May I leave Canada before my request for an extension has been finalized? Yes. However, if you leave temporarily and your study permit has not been renewed, you will have to re-apply before you seek to re-enter Canada (either at the port of entry if you have the right to do so or at a visa office outside Canada) and pay another processing fee. May I leave, then re-enter Canada? In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada. If you are a citizen of a country who requires a temporary resident visa to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa to return unless: you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it. Do Students Need a Work Permit to Work on Campus? A full-time student attending a post-secondary institution does not need a work permit when the employment offered is on the campus of the college or university where the student is registered full-time, for as long as the study permit is valid. The student will however require a Social Insurance Number (SIN) that is obtained through the local Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) office.



Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Are all foreign students in Canada eligible for the program? If you are a foreign student studying in Canada, you must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for a work permit under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program: you must have a valid study permit; you must have studied full time at an eligible institution for at least six months out of the 12 months before you apply; you must maintain satisfactory academic standing (as defined by your academic institution); you must be enrolled in an academic program of study; and you must comply with the conditions of your study permit and your work permit, if applicable. If you fail to do so, you will be found to be in non-compliance and will not be able to re-apply for the program.

Q2: Are there any students who are not eligible? a) Foreign students who are not studying at publicly funded post-secondary educational institutions are not eligible. b) If you are not enrolled at a participating institution you are not eligible. c) All exchange students, guest students, students enrolled in English or French second language programs, and students who have received awards from the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program, the Government of Canada Awards Program or the Canadian International Development Agency, or students who in the past did not comply with the conditions of their study or work permit, are not eligible for work permits under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program. Q3: How do I apply? You can find everything you need to apply on the CIC Web site. You can download the application form and guide for work permits, as well as the other forms that must be submitted with your application

Q4: How do I find out if the institution where I study is participating in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program? Contact the institution where you are studying and ask if it has signed an agreement for the purpose of this program with the province or territory in which it is located. You can also visit the CIC Web site to see if your institution is participating. Q5: If I receive a work permit, how long is it valid for? Your work permit will allow you to work off campus until you complete your studies, as long as you remain in satisfactory academic standing and comply with the conditions of your work permit and your study permit. Q6: Is there a fee to apply for the work permit? Yes, the fee is $150.


Q7: Once I apply for the work permit, how long will it take to process my application? Generally, it will take from one month to six weeks. Please visit our Web site to see the current processing times for work permits at However, your individual circumstances may affect the processing time. They include: whether you are eligible for the program; whether your application is complete; and whether the institution you attend has signed an agreement with the province or territory in which it is located.

Q8: If I meet the eligibility criteria, and the institution where I study is participating in the program, can I apply for a job off campus right away, or do I have to wait until I receive my work permit? You can apply for a job right away, but you cannot legally work off campus in Canada until you receive a work permit. If you begin to work off campus before you receive a work permit, you could lose your eligibility to participate in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program. Q9: Are there any restrictions on where I can work or the type of job that I can apply for? You will be able to work anywhere in Canada as long as you remain a full-time student in satisfactory academic standing while classes are in session and you comply with the conditions of your work permit. In some cases, there may be restrictions on the type of job you can hold. For example, you may be required to undergo a medical examination for some occupations. If you have questions, contact the CIC Call Centre for more information at 1-888-242-2100. Q10: Are there any restrictions on how many hours I can work once I receive my work permit? Once you receive your work permit, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus while classes are in session. You can work full time during scheduled breaks, including summer or winter holidays and reading weeks. While classes are in session, you must be studying full time and retain satisfactory academic standing in order to keep your work permit. Q11: Why is this program not available to foreign students when they start their studies? The likelihood of a student quitting his or her program is increased during the first months. CIC wants to ensure that work permits are issued to students who are legitimate students. When they apply, these students will be required to prove that they have been studying full time for six of the last 12 months at a participating institution.

For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit (there is no fee for this application). To be eligible for a work permit, the following conditions must be met: you must have a valid study permit (unless you are a minor high-school student who does not require a study permit); your intended employment must be an essential part of your course of study in Canada; your employment must be certified as part of the academic program by a responsible academic official of the institution; and your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 percent of the total program of study.



The post-graduation work program provides graduating students with Canadian work experience in their field of study. Length of study matters. The work permit cannot be valid longer than the length of time the student studied. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a one-year work permit or, if they meet the criteria, a two-year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months. How do I participate? To be eligible for a post-graduation work permit of up to one year: You must have graduated from a program at a Canadian university, a community college, a CEGEP, a publicly funded trade or technical school or a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees; You must have studies full-time for at least eight months; You must have completed and passed the course of study or program ( whether you have received a degree, diploma or certificate is not an issue); You must have applied to for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (transcript, letter, etc.) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements of your program; You must have a job offer from an employer for a job that is related to your field of studies; and

You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit. You cannot have previously been issued a work permit for post-graduation work following any other course of study. To be eligible for a post-graduation work permit of up to two years, you must meet the criteria above for a oneyear work permit. You must also have: Successfully completed a program of at least two years of full-time studies; Studied at and graduated from an institution located outside of the Communaut mtropolitaine de Montral (CMM), the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) or the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD); Found employment outside of the CMM, GTA or GVRD.

Note: If you complete your studies at a campus located inside the CMM, the GTA or the GVRD, but at an institution whose headquarters for that campus are located outside those areas, you are not eligible for a twoyear work permit under this program. Note: If you graduate from an institution located inside one of those areas, you are not eligible for a second year of work, even if the employment is located outside of those areas. For more information, please contact International Student Services. Source: Immigration Canada Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.


Financing Your Studies

Transferring Funds to Canada The most efficient way to transfer funds to Canada is by Direct Transaction between banks in your home country and a bank in Canada. This is called a Wire Transfer.

To arrange a wire transfer you will need to open a bank account upon arrival in Canada, at a bank that has a relationship with your bank in your home country. Normally, it will take two to five days to receive money through a wire transfer.

Transferring Funds to Cover Tuition Fees

If you wish to transfer funds from your home country to pay your tuition, you have two options: 1. Bank to Bank Transfer (Wire Transfer) Please advise your bank to transfer the money to the following bank in Canada to pay your tuition: Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce 98 King Street West Brockville, Ontario K6V 3P9 Tel: 613-342-6651 Bank Code: Bank Transit Code: Bank Account No.: CC0010000342 00342 81- 01612


2. Bank Drafts, Certified Cheques or Money Orders Bank drafts, certified cheques or money orders are payable to St. Lawrence College. cheques are not accepted.




Major Credit Cards The college accepts payments by VISA, MasterCard and American Express. Please provide necessary information with your registration payment form. Debit/Cash In person only- please do not send cash by mail. Please ensure that your debit limit is sufficient. Telephone or Internet Banking Contact your financial institution to add St. Lawrence College to your list of electronic bill payees. Note: your account number is comprised of a letter which represents your Academic School followed by your SLC ID number; For example, a business account for John Smith (SLC # 1234567) would be W1234567. School of Business: School of Computer & Engineering Technology: School of Health Sciences: School of Human Studies and Applied Arts: School of Skilled Trades and Tourism W Z X Y Z

Opening a Bank Account

It might be wise to call ahead to schedule an appointment, before going to a bank to open an account. To open a bank account, you will need to show: 1. Your student visa 2. Your passport 3. Your student card (or an acceptance letter from the St. Lawrence College) 4. Proof of your address If you are depositing an international cheque, it will take approximately 20 days to clear. For this reason, we suggest that you carry sufficient funds in cash or travelers cheques, to pay for your books (tuition is probably already paid) and immediate living expenses including housing, food, transportation, basic clothing, etc.

Financial Aid
At this time, there are no scholarships or financial assistance available for international students. However, you can apply for student awards and bursaries where applicable. See the College web site for further information:


Personal Care
Most of Canada, including Kingston, has four distinct seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. During the winter months (December, January and February), the temperature usually stays below 0C, day and night. In most of Canada, you can expect snow to be on the ground from mid-December to the middle of March. The higher in elevation and the farther north you go, the longer and colder winter becomes. Consequently, in winter, you will need warm clothing such as insulated, waterproof boots; an overcoat; a scarf for your neck; a hat or ear muffs that cover your ears; and gloves or mittens. If possible, if you come from a warm climate, buy some winter clothes before you leave for Canada. Alternatively, be ready to buy winter clothes soon after arriving. (Note that winter clothes are more expensive than summer clothes.) Each season is beautiful and has its own appeal: colourful leaves in the fall; feathery snowflakes and white fluffy snow in the winter; warm breezes in the spring; and sunshine and flowers in the summer. Each season also offers its own sports and activities as well as holidays and festivities.

Tip: You can find detailed weather information for the Kingston area on the Environment Canada Web site:

Conversion References
Japanese Canadian British Continental Canadian & British Continental Japanese Canadian British Continental Japanese Canadian British Continental Japanese Canadian British Continental 7 8 30 36 30 38 23 6 4.5 36 24.5 5.5 5 39 36 14 14 36 9 10 32 38 Womens Clothing 11 13 12 14 34 36 40 42 15 16 38 44 38 46 25 8 6.5 38 29 9.5 9 43 17 18 40 46 40 48 25.5 8.5 7 39 30 10.5 10 44 41 16.5 16.5 41 19 20 42 48 42 50 26 9 7.5 40 31 11.5 11 45 42 17 17 41 17

Blouses, Sweaters, Slips 32 34 36 40 42 44

Womens Shoes 23.5 24 24.5 6.5 7 7.5 5 5.5 6 37 38 38 Mens Shoes 26 27.5 28 6.5 7.5 8.5 6 7 8 40 41 42

Mens Suits, Overcoats & Sweaters 37 38 39 40 14.5 15 15.5 16 14.5 15 15.5 16 37 38 39 40

Electrical/Electronic Appliances
Electricity in Canada is 110 volts, 60-cycle alternating current. If you come from an area with different voltages, please note that you will need to buy a transformer for your electrical/electronic appliances. The transformer can be costly. Therefore, you will need to decide which is cheaper: buying a transformer to adjust the voltage on your own appliance, or purchasing a new appliance in Canada.

Kingston Transit
Kingston Transit operates the bus service in Kingston. The tuition for full-time students of the College includes a valid bus pass for the whole term. Contact the student association in order to attach the bus pass to your Student ID card. Part time students are required to pay an additional fee for the bus pass.
For more information, please visit: Note: When approaching your destination, signal the operator to stop by pulling the cord above the window. The bus does not stop at every station. You must pull the cord, which makes a ringing sound that advises the bus operator that you want to get off. A Visitors day pass entitles one adult and two children of ages 12 and below to ride the bus for a whole day.

For more details, please see the bus guide information available at the Student Association Office.

VIA Rail
VIA Rail operates trains in all regions of Canada over a network spanning the country from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from the Great Lakes to Hudson Bay.
Kingston Station 800 Counter Street, Kingston, ON K7M 7H3 1 888 VIA RAIL (1-888-272-7556) For booking and reservations contact: Via Rail Kingston Tel No: 1-888-272-7556 Website: You can also contact them through your travel agency.


ISIC (International Student Identity Card) Savings!

The ISIC (International Student Identity Card) is recognized around the world. At VIA Rail, it entitles you to a 35% discount in Economy and Comfort classes and 10% discount in all other classes. You do not have to purchase your ticket in advance, and there are no service charges! This discount is available for all trains and all destinations all year round. Just present your ISIC wherever VIA tickets are sold. You also can use your ISIC to get the discount on long distance bus (Greyhound) tickets. If you want to apply for an ISIC, you need: A student card from St. Lawrence College; One recent picture (same size as the passport picture); $17 CAD; A completed application form (available in the Student Union Office).

For more information, visit the web at:


Coach Canada
Coach Canada, through its affiliation with Coach USA is the largest provider of motor coach charter, tour and sightseeing services in Canada. A daily and direct service is available from the Kingston terminal to Pearson International Airport in Toronto. Contact the office for departure and arrival times.
In Kingston, the Canada Coach terminal is located at 175 Counter Street, with easy access using Kingston Transit. For more information call 613-547-4916 or visit You now can also buy tickets online which will save you time.

Voyageur Bus
Voyageur Bus Lines also provides service to and from the Kingston terminal. There are daily departures and arrivals providing convenient connections to Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto or any other city you want.
Bus schedules are available in International Student Services. For more information, please contact the bus station at 613-547-4916 or visit Students save up to 25 percent on a Greyhound bus With their International Student Identity Card (ISIC), students save up to 25 percent on a Greyhound bus or 10 percent with other recognized student cards. Discounts for student cards apply to adult regular one-way or return fares only. For further information contact: Tel No: Website: 1-800-661-8747


Norman Rogers Airport

The Norman Rogers Airport in Kingston operates daily commercial departures and arrivals that provide connections to and from Toronto's Pearson International Airport. Norman Rogers Airport is Kingston's link to all global destinations. For more information on the flights servicing the Kingston region, please consult your local travel agent, Air Canada, or the airport at 613-389-6404.

College Housing List
Each campus, in conjunction with the student governments, posts off-campus housing lists. Please visit our web site at and click Campus Life > Services > Housing List - Kingston. There you can choose your campus and view the housing list. You can also visit the Student Association Office to obtain a copy of this housing list. Housing List - and click Campus Life > Services > Housing List - Kingston.

Finding the right apartment that meets all your needs can be tricky. There are many things to take into consideration before you settle for a place to live. Please also refer to A Newcomers Guide by the Government of Canada for additional information.
Our best advice is to take your time and visit a number of places before making your decision and signing a lease. Here are a few points to consider before renting a room.

Signing a Lease
You may be asked to sign a lease. In this case, you should be well informed as to what to expect. Here are some tips on signing a lease: Once you agree to rent an apartment or a house, you may be asked to sign a one-year lease. This legal document of one or two pages describes the rental property, outlines inclusions (electricity, phone, water, cable, etc.) and any options, such as parking and storage. It may also state whether pets or more people are allowed. Most apartments are leased by the year, although some are rented monthly. You will probably need to pay the first and last months rent when you sign the lease. If your apartment requires a lease, your landlord will give you the lease form to sign. Read it over carefully before you sign it. Pay special attention to the parts that state exceptions and additions. You want to know exactly what you will pay for and what will be paid for by the landlord. Be sure you know what the monthly rent payment includes. For example, is the electricity included, the water included, the parking included? Also, find out whether you have to pay a fee if you leave before the lease term is over. You cannot usually break a lease agreement.


It is also likely you will be asked to provide a Canadian reference or have a co-signer sign the lease to guarantee your financial commitment. Be sure to ask how early you need to notify your landlord if you decide to move out. Ask if visitors are allowed and are visiting times restricted?

Rental Cost
Rents vary greatly depending on the age, condition and location or the building. In general, you can expect to pay between $350 a month for a room to $550 for an apartment with 2 bedrooms.

Housing Tips
Here are a few housing tips that might prove useful to you: 1. Ask lots of questions! For example: 2. Is heating and hot water included in the rent? Are there laundry facilities in the building? Is the apartment close to a bus stop? Does the rent include appliances?

Check appliances (refrigerator and stove) to make sure they are in working order before you sign the lease. Also check the taps for water pressure and hot water availability. You may have to give a deposit of at least one months rent when you sign the lease.


N.B.: When the landlord/agent asks for identification, show them your letter of acceptance from St. Lawrence College, your study permit and your passport. Never give out your credit card number.

Utilities Kingston provides water, sewer, gas and electricity services. They are responsible for the supply, distribution and metering of electricity and natural gas in the City Central. If you pay for the electricity, contact Utilities Kingston at 613-546-0000. You may need to pay a $250 deposit, and $15 to read the meter. The deposit will be returned to you after two years of paying your electricity bill on time.

If you want to get Internet service, you have the following choices: Dial-up: use the telephone line. Bell Canada provides regular and high-speed access via the phone line. High speed internet is available through Cogeco cable or ADSL internet such as Bell. A discount will be given if you subscribe to both internet and television from the same company. You may also be given a discount if you are a full-time student.


Telephone You will need to sign a contract with the telephone company. For a one-year plan, the cheapest one will cost you approximately $30 per month plus the installation cost. In some cases, a cell phone could be cheaper than a telephone when you consider the installation and monthly fee. There are many new telephone plans every year. For details, contact the telephone company. Bell Canada ............................................................................ 310-2355 Rogers AT&T.......................................................................... 1-877-764-3772 Telus....................................................................................... 1-877-310-6110 Television Services
Television services are available through cable and satellite. Cable is provided through Cogeco Cable. Cogeco Cable Store Cataraqui Town Centre 945 Gardeners Rd Kingston, Ontario Tel No: 1-866-427-7451 Website: Satellite television providers in Kingston include Bell Express Vu and Star Choice.

Star Choice Tel: 1-866-782-7932 Website: Bell World Store Cataraqui Town Centre 945 Gardiners Road Kingston (Ontario) K7M 7H4 Tel: 613-634-7105

Bell Express Vu Tel: 1-888-759-3474 Website: Bell World Store Cataraqui Town Centre 945 Gardiners Road Kingston (Ontario) K7M 7H4 Tel: 613-389-3455

Making Local Calls

Local calls made from public telephones cost 50 cents. You can speak for as long as you like at no extra charge in the local area. In Kingston, 613 is the area code. It is necessary to dial 613 when in Kingston; the area code is also needed when calling outside the Kingston area.
If you wish to make a long distance call using a public telephone, you must put in 50 cents and dial 0 to reach the operator. You can then ask the operator to reverse the charges to the person you are calling (Collect Call) or you can ask for a long distance connection and the operator will ask you to put in enough money (in 5, 10, or 25 cent or $1.00 coins) for the cost of the call. You can also use calling cards. Calling cards are prepaid phone units. The calling card rates are generally cheaper than the standard rates for long distance calls. Calling cards are available at various convenience stores in Kingston.


Making International calls

The most economical way to make international calls is to use a calling card. You can still use the abovementioned method to place an international call but it will be very expensive. To place international calls, please dial 011 Country code - Area code and then - Telephone number.

Tip: A good website that guides you step by step to call any country outside of Canada is

Common Country Codes

China Japan Mexico 86 81 52 Nigeria South Korea Taiwan 11 82 886 United Kingdom Pakistan 44 91

This section outlines some important Canadian holidays. The College may not be open on these days; therefore, it is important to check your St. Lawrence College calendar for these dates. If there are any Holidays/Celebrations that occur in your home country that you would like to celebrate here (example, Chinese New Year), please contact the International Student Services. New Years Day January 1. Celebration of the New Year. Celebrations usually occur on December 31. People often make New Years resolutions (a decision to make a change in your life, example, to quite smoking) Valentines Day It is considered a romantic holiday. Celebrated in honour of Saint Valentine it is a time for sending a gift or card to loved ones. Easter Sunday No fixed date. Between March 22 and April 25. It is an important Christian Holiday. Good Friday the Friday prior to Easter Sunday. Marks the day that Jesus Christ was crucified. Victoria Day- A public holiday in Canada, celebrated on the Monday on or before May 24th, Queen Victoria's birthday. Often celebrated with fireworks. Canada Day July 1. Marks the anniversary of the establishment of the Canadian Confederation in 1867. Civic Holiday - In most Canadian provinces, a public holiday. Celebrated the first Monday in August. Labour Day The first Monday in September is a holiday honouring Canadas working men and women. Labour Day weekend is regarded as the last weekend of summer and most public schools begin classes the day after Labour Day. Thanksgiving Day The second Monday in October is the traditional harvest Thanksgiving. Halloween October 31. Festivities include dressing up in costumes. Remembrance Day November 11. A day to honour those who fought for Canada in the First World War (19141918), the Second World War (1939-1945), and the Korean War (1950-1953), as well as those who have served since then. Christmas December 25. A celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. On this day families spend time together and often exchange gifts with one another. If you would like to celebrate Christmas day with a Canadian family please contact International Student Services.


Canadian Social Customs/Culture and Laws

Canada is known for its multiculturalism, with a population of people from many different origins. This multiculturalism makes Canada an ideal place to study, live and work. Canadians take pride in their individuality and many people who come to Canada maintain their customs and cultural identity. To make a smooth integration into your new community there are a few general guidelines that you should be aware of. Time Canadians place a high priority on punctuality (being on time). When you have interview or appointment, it is customary to show up a few minutes earlier then the scheduled time. If you are unable to make the interview or appointment at the scheduled time or if you are unable to make it at all you would need to let the individual you are meeting know by calling as soon as possible. Greetings Depending on the situation, there are a few guidelines when greeting people. A formal greeting (example: interviews, meeting colleagues) when meeting people for the first time could include shaking hands and a simple, nice to meet you. An informal greeting is used when you have already met an individual or if you are among friends, Example, hi, how are you? Usually no handshaking is involved. Tipping/gratuity It is customary, if you are happy with the services you have received to give a small amount of money to the service employee (10-15% of the bill/cost). Tipping is usually done in restaurants, bars/clubs and taxi services and not in fast-food restaurants (example: McDonalds). If you do not tip it may suggest that you are unhappy with the service. When paying the bill check for a service charge already added. If a service charge has already been added this is the tip and there is no need to tip further. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms; Freedom of conscience and religion Freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication Freedom of peaceful assembly; and Freedom of association Sources: From the Department of Justice Canada website; Liquor/Alcohol Laws The legal age for purchasing and consuming alcohol in Ontario is 19. Alcohol is sold in licensed stores such as the LCBO and Beer Store. To purchase alcohol you must present photo identification proving that you are 19 or older. It is illegal to provide alcohol to minors (individuals under the age of 19). It is also illegal to operate vehicles while intoxicated, walk in public with open liquor and drive a vehicle with open liquor. Tobacco Laws It is illegal to buy tobacco products if you are under the age of 19. To purchase tobacco products you must present photo identification. It is illegal to buy/provide tobacco products to minors (individuals under the age of 19). There are also laws restricting where you can smoke, you cannot smoke in most public buildings and if smoking outside a public building you must be the indicated distance (usually indicated on a sign) from an entrance. Also, you cannot smoke in public transportation. For more information on the Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms and other Canadian Laws see the Department of Justice Canada website;


Dealing with Culture Shock

The term Culture Shock refers to the anxiety produced when a person moves to a completely new environment. This term expresses the lack of direction, the feeling of not knowing what to do or how to do things in a new environment, and not knowing what is appropriate or inappropriate. Everyone reacts differently when placed in a new environment; some may experience culture shock to different degrees. The International Friendship Family Program at St. Lawrence is here to help you deal with these issues. It helps to link you to local students for any questions you may have about Canadian culture while also linking you with other international students whom you have shared experiences of culture shock. Here are some things you can do to reduce culture shock. Learn about the new culture Approach the move with a good attitude. Be open to new ways. Develop a hobby there are many different clubs or associations that you can get involved with at St. Lawrence. Check our your college calendar for listings Learn to include a regular for of physical activity and time to relax in your routine. There are a variety of classes available in the student fitness center Keep in contact with friends and family at home Increase contact with the new culture, example, and volunteer in community activities. If you feel stressed, look for help. There is always someone or some service available to help you. Peer advisors as well as international student services staff are available.

Sources: and


Useful Websites
OCAS link for international students:

Health and Nutrition Guide for Canadians

Kingston Directories

Yellow Pages of Canada:

Conversion of Currency:
Latest and most updated currency exchange information on web

International Education CBIE:

Learn how CBIE can help you in migration to Canada.

Weather Canada
Learn about Canadian weather from the best weather source.

Calling Cards
Helpful links for buying calling cards online:

Making International Calls

A good website that guides you step by step to call any country outside of Canada. 26

Reference Material

Acronym Finder: database of acronyms, abbreviations and initializes about computers, technology, telecommunications, and the military. Babel: glossary of computer oriented abbreviations and acronyms. multidisciplinary acronym finder. Site allows browsing by subject or using a search engine.


Columbia Encyclopedia: 6th edition. Contains nearly 51,000 entries. Available full text at Same encyclopaedia can also be searched at (Electric Library). only a selection of articles from the Encyclopaedia Britannica is available free on this website. Canadian Encyclopedia Online: available free on the Internet in English and French. includes a selection of articles from the Encarta encyclopaedia. The full version is available for a fee. Encarta version franaise: includes a selection of articles from the Encarta encyclopaedia. The full version is available for a fee. Encyclopdie Hachette: 50,000 articles in French from the Encyclopaedia Hachette.


Information Please. Combines a dictionary, an encyclopaedia and three almanacs (sports, entertainment and general) published by Information Please. CIA World Factbook: provides information about countries and reference maps.

English Language Dictionaries

Cambridge International Dictionaries: includes access to dictionaries of English, American English, Idioms, and Phrasal Verbs. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary - 10th edition (With Pronunciation) American Heritage Dictionary Encarta World English Dictionary 27

Canadian Immigration Websites

Canadian Immigration

Study in Canada
Canadian Study Guide to help you make a better choice.

Modifying Visa
How you can modify your Visa and the required documentation.

Temporary Visa

A Newcomers Guide by the Government of Canada

Immigration lawyer referral sites


Learning Idioms
Following are some common English phrases that you might hear, along with their definitions. All-nighter: (n) An all-night work session. "To pull an all-nighter" means to work all night at something, without sleeping. Ammo: (n) Ammunition. At one's fingertips: (adv.) easily recalled or remembered. Babe: (n) An attractive woman. Often derogatory. Baked: (adj.) to be high on marijuana. To Beat around the bush: (v) to speak indirectly, to avoid addressing an issue. Big shot: (n) An important person, or someone who thinks he or she is important. To Blow someone off: (v) to intentionally and rudely ignore someone. To Blow someone away: (v) to amaze or impress. Also, to shoot someone with a gun. The Bomb: (n) To be the best, to be really cool. To Bomb an exam: (v) to do poorly on an exam. Bombed: (adj.) Very drunk or stoned. To Bond: (v) to make friends. Booze: (n) Beer; alcoholic beverage To Break the ice: (v) to begin conversation in an awkward social setting. Broke: (adj.) Out of money. Buck: (n) A dollar bill. Bum: (n) A homeless person, a person begging for money on the street. To Bum/to be Bummed out: (v) to be depressed or sad. To get Busted: (v) to be caught by security or police for doing something illicit or illegal. Butt: (n) Rear end; buttocks. 29

BYOB: (abbreviation) Bring Your Own Booze; may be included on a party invitation. Change: (n) Coins (penny: 1 cent, Nickel: 5 cents, dime: 10 cents, quarter: 25 cents, halfdollar: 50 cents). Chauvinism: (n) A prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own group. Check, Cheque: (n) A signed piece of paper redeemable for cash at a bank. Used by individuals to pay for many items and services in lieu of cash. To be Caught red-handed: (v) to be observed in the act of doing something illicit or illegal. To Check out: (v) to sign out a book from the library; to pay for purchases in a store; to try to find out about something. To Chill out: (v) to relax, to calm down. To Click: (v) to have something suddenly make sense, to suddenly get along well with someone. Clique: (n) A tight-knit social group, usually a close group of friends who tend to resist outsiders. Cool: (exclamation) OK, good. Cop: (n) Police officer. A slang (and somewhat derogatory) term. Do not use this term when speaking to a police officer! Crack: (n) Cocaine product, a dangerous and highly illegal drug. To Cram: (v) to study hard the night before an exam. Crap: (n) Garbage, nonsense, excrement. To Cut: (v) to skip a class, to not go to a class. To Date: (v) to see someone in a social, personal, romantic fashion. Date: (n) A person one sees in a social, personal, romantic fashion. Diesel: (n) Petrol, fuel for trucks and certain automobiles. Diesel: (adj.) to be extremely strong, tough, powerful. Dope: (n) Illegal drugs, such as marijuana or hashish. Also, an idiot. Dork: (n) A stupid person, a silly person. Down in the dumps: (adj.) Feeling depressed. 30

Down to earth: (adj.) Practical, straight-forward, "a normal person." To Drop a course: (v) to withdraw officially from a course. Dude: (n) A buddy, friend. Dude: (exclamation) An exclamation used to expressed wonder, shock, or amazement. Dumb: (adj.) Stupid. Fad: (n) A stylish, and often fleeting, trend. To Feel it in your bones: (v) to feel or sense what is going to happen. Final(s): (n) the last exam(s) of a semester. To Flirt: (v) to engage in subtle behaviours designed to attract the interest and/or affections of someone to whom one is attracted. Flirt: (n) Someone who often behaves in a way which is considered flirtatious, which attracts the attention of the opposite sex. To Flunk: (v) to fail a course, to receive unsatisfactory grades (marks). Fraternity: (n) A men's social organization. To Get cold feet: (v) to back out of a deal because of nervousness or uncertainty. Most often applied to dating relationships. To Give the cold shoulder: (v) to rudely and intentionally ignore someone. To go jump in a lake: (v) to go away. Usually a command from one person to another. To Go to pot: (v) to deteriorate. To Go downhill: (v) to deteriorate. To Go steady: (v) to officially (i.e. to make known to the general public) and repeatedly date or see someone romantically. To Goof-off: (v) to do silly or purposeless things. Goof-off: (n) A person who sometimes does silly or purposeless things. Grade: (n) Mark, an indication of performance in a class as determined by the professor. Grass: (n) Marijuana. Guys: (n) A group of men, or, often, a group of people (in this case, gender-neutral). 31

Gym: (n) Gymnasium or physical education building. Half-baked: (adj.) an idea or plan not well thought-out. To Hang in there: (v) to persevere, to not give up. To Hang out: (v) to chill, to relax, and to spend one's time in a non-productive fashion. Hang Over: (n) Sickness/general malaise felt the day after heavy drinking. Hassle: (n) Something troublesome, a nuisance. To Hassle: (v) to deliberately be troublesome to someone. To Have a bone to pick with someone: (v) to have cause to argue or disagree. Hick: (n) A person from a rural area (derogatory), often perceived to be uneducated. Hickey: (n) A mark left on the skin from kissing. High: (adj.) Intoxicated by a drug. Hip: (adj.) Trendy, fashionable. To Hit the books: (v) to study. To Hit the road: (v) to leave. To Hold one's horses: (v) to be calm or patient. Howdy: (exclamation) Hello. Originally a contraction of "How do you do." Carries a connotation of lack of culture or sophistication, as it is a term perceived to be used by uneducated lowerclass and working-class people. Hung Over: (adj.) Having a hang-over. I.D.: (n) Identification. Jell-O shots: (n) Jell-O prepared with alcohol instead of water. Jerk: (n) A mean or nasty person. Jock: (n) An athlete, someone whose social persona is built around the sport they play. The John: (n) the toilet. Junk mail: (n) Unsolicited mail which aims to sell you something. To Hit the John: (v) to go to the bathroom. 32

To Hook up: (v) to form a romantic or sexual relationship with someone, usually fleeting with merely sexual intent and formed at a party. Keg: (n) A large aluminium drum used for storing large quantities of beer. To know the ropes: (v) to be familiar with the details of something. Lab: (abbreviation) Laboratory. Lemon: (n) A bad buy or purchase. (Cross-reference with Citroen automobiles.) Let one's hair down: (v) To relax, to behave informally, to party, usually contrasted to a staunch, official or professional attitude. To Let the cat out of the bag: (v) to reveal a secret, thus ruining a surprise. Lift: (n) A ride, transportation. Like: (interjection) a nonsensical use of the word "like," used as a fill-in word, such as "Uh" or "Um". A common feature of the speech of many young people. To Make ends meet: (v) to make one's expenses meet (not exceed) one's income. To Make up: (v) to apologize after a fight; to do an assignment after it was due. To Make out: (v) to kiss, engage in foreplay, and/or engage in sexual intercourse. Mall: (n) A cluster of stores in one large building. Memo: (n) A brief note. Abbreviation of "memorandum." Midterm: (n) An exam given in the middle of a semester. Moose: (n) A large mammal, considerably larger than a deer or elk but similar in body shape, with large antlers, which inhabits local forests. Neat: (adj.) Cool, interesting. Conveys positive approval of something. Nerd, Geek, Square: (n) Someone who studies a lot, someone who is excessively academic. OK: (exclamation) All right, a term of approval. On a shoestring: (adv.) Supported by very little money. On the ball: (adj.) to be with-it, to be focused and productive. Once in a blue moon: (adj.) Seldom, infrequently. A blue moon is defined as the second full moon in a given month (hence, a rare occurrence). 33

Out of it: (adj.) to have one's mind far-away or preoccupied, to feel sick or generally unwell. Over my dead body: (exclamation) Not if I can stop it! To Overdraw: (v) to withdraw more money than one has in one's account. Accompanied by a heavy fee. Plastered: (adj.) Very drunk. PC: (n) Personal computer. Peeping Tom: (n) A person who covertly observes others in private activities. Phoney: (adj.) Fake. To Pick someone up: (v) to establish a romantic or sexual relationship with someone new, usually a fleeting relationship formed at a party. Pick-Up game: (n) An informal game of basketball or soccer. Piece: (n) Slang term for gun. The Pill: (n) Contraceptive birth control pill. (Slang.) Possum: (n) An exceptionally ugly, but reclusive, local mammal. Pot: (n) Marijuana. Prick: (n) A mean or nasty person. Other (highly obscene) definitions exist. Psyched: (adj.) Excited about something to come. Psyched-out: (adj.) Intimidated. To Pull one's leg: (v) to chide or tease someone. To Pull some strings: (v) to use influence to get what you want. To Pull the wool over someone's eyes: (v) to deceive or mislead someone. To Put one's foot in one's mouth: (v) to make an embarrassing mistake. Quiz: (n) A short test, usually given without warning. Raccoon: (n) A mammal approximately the size of a medium-sized dog which likes to forage in trash cans. Sometimes rabid. To Rain cats and dogs: (v) to rain heavily. 34

Redneck: (n) A person who lives in a rural area (derogatory); often perceived to be uneducated. Ride: (n) Transportation, usually in a car. To Rip off: (v) to charge an excessively high price, to cheat. RSVP: (abbreviation of the French "Repondez s'il-vous-plait") Please reply. To Run around with: (v) to be friends and share activities with someone. To be Set: (v) to be ready, prepared, finished. To Shoplift: (v) to secretly steal from a store. Can lead, if caught, to prosecution. Shot: (n) A small glass of liquor. Show: (n) A movie in a movie theatre, or a play in a theatre. To Skip: (v) to not go to a class, to cut a class. Skunk: (n) A small black and white striped animal which inhabits local forests and tends to wander into town. Possesses a gland in its tail which is capable of expelling an extraordinarily unpleasant and long-lasting smell when the animal feels in danger. Sorority: (n) A women's social, academic, or professional organization. To Space out: (v) to not pay attention, to become preoccupied. Spam: (n) Unwanted e-mail which aims to sell you something. Also, an unsavoury form of canned meat. Spaz: (n) An energetic, hyper person. To Spill the beans: (v) to unintentionally reveal a secret, thus ruining a surprise. To Split: (v) to leave. Stag: (n) Slang term for a man; to go stag is to go to a dance or party without a date. Stale: (adj.) Old, unpleasant. Stoned: (adj.) High on marijuana. Straight-forward: (adj., adv.) To deal with something in a direct manner, to speak openly. Straight-up: (adj.) Directly, to speak concisely and truthfully, with the truth a higher concern than the effect it may have on the listener. 35

Stressed out: (adj.) to be tense, under pressure. Stuff: (n) Things, material affairs or possessions. Stuffed shirt: (n) A pompous person. To Take for granted: (v) to assume. To Dump: (v) to end a dating relationship; the action (performed by only one person in a couple) of abruptly ending a going-steady relationship. To Scope: (v) to investigate, to covertly observe physically attractive people. Wasted: (adj.) Stoned/drunk, trashed. Weed: (n) Marijuana. Whatever: (exclamation, interjection) Used to express boredom, impatience, a lack of concern, laziness, frustration, and a common slang term used by young people to demonstrate superiority over something by expressing that one doesn't care. To do the Wild Thing: (v) to engage in sexual intercourse. To Wing it: (v) to attempt to do something without prior preparation or knowledge. To Withdraw: (v) to stop taking a class or to officially leave school for the semester or year. Also, to remove money in the form of cash from a bank account. Women's Lib: (n) The feminist movement, short for Women's Liberation. To Zone Out: (v) to become preoccupied, to lose focus. Idioms Sources come from: