Anda di halaman 1dari 2

Newkirk Football Wins a Thriller on Homecoming Night

By Austin Poll
SMSC Reporter

ENID The Newkirk Tigers won in dramatic fashion on homecoming night against the
Pawnee Black Bears by a score of 23-20 at Holtby Field in Newkirk, Oklahoma on Friday

The Tigers were down 20-15 before quarterback Colby Case took an 87-yard run all the
way to the Black Bears seven-yard line. That run set up a touchdown run from Laike
Wilhelm. The two-point conversion followed as the Tigers went up 23-20 with 1:11 left in
the game.

Case finished the game with 7 of 16 completions for 123 passing yards and added 16
rushes for 130 yards and one touchdown through the air. Powers commended the great
play from his junior quarterback.

He is much improved from last year, Powers said. He reads the defense better and does
not force the ball into the coverage. He has the ability to be a special player for us this year.

The Tigers scored the first touchdown of the game in the second quarter after a drive that
took up nearly eight minutes of the clock. It was a great run by Wilhelm inside the five-yard
line to get the early lead.

After, it was all Black Bears for the rest of the half. They forced three turnovers on the
Tigers and were able to score 14 unanswered points to closeout the first half.

Newkirk had a great defensive showing in the second half. It only allowed six points and
forced numerous three and outs. The Tigers head coach, Sam Powers, commented on his
teams strong defensive effort.

They played great, Powers said. They showed that they are a much improved part of this
team from last year and I know they have the ability and confidence to continue playing
great football.

The Tigers took the lead in the fourth quarter after Hunter Hawkins found himself wide
open. Case found Hawkins open in the middle of the field for a 33-yard touchdown. The
touchdown gave the tigers a 15-14 lead, but the Black Bears were unfazed scoring a
touchdown on their next possession.

The Black Bears were up 20-15 for most of the fourth quarter, but Case wasnt finished. The
Tigers were pinned at their own 10-yard line with 5:10 left in the game. Case dropped back
in the pocket and had no open receivers so he took off down field. He was finally brought
down at the Black Bears seven-yard line and Newkirk punched the ball in a couple plays
Newkirk is now 2-1 and will shift its focus to a road battle with 2-1 Chisholm High School in
the first district battle of the season.