Anda di halaman 1dari 1

A lack of standards for making concrete blocks resulted in a negative perception of concrete for

construction. An editorial by Charles C. Brown in the September 1904 issue of Municipal


Engineering discussed the idea of forming an organization to bring order and standard practices
to the industry.[4] In 1905 the National Association of Cement Users was formally organized and
adopted a constitution and bylaws. Richard Humphrey was elected its first President. The first
committees were appointed at the 1905 convention in Indianapolis and offered preliminary
reports on a number of subject areas.[1] The first complete committee reports were offered at the
1907 convention. The association's first official headquarters was established in 1908 at Richard
Humphrey's office in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Clerical and editorial help was brought on to
more effectively organize conventions and publish proceedings of the institute. The "Standard
Building Regulations for the Use of Reinforced Concrete" was adopted at the 1910 convention
and became the association's first reinforced concrete building code. By 1912 the association
had adopted 14 standards. At the December 1912 convention the association approved
publication of a monthly journal of proceedings. In July 1913 the Board of Direction of NACU
decided to change its name to the American Concrete Institute. The new name was deemed to
be more descriptive of the work being conducted within the institute.[5]