Anda di halaman 1dari 1

Chest rst es New guideline guidelines

issued for CPR R


NEWS A3

Were they TV Week smoking Peg Bundys new ride Katey Sagal in bikie drama in bed?
NEWS A5 LIFTOUT
www.dompost.co.nz

T Tu Tuesday, October 19, 2010

$1.60

Freight: (Auckland, Tauranga, South Island) $1.90

TEACHER STRIKE

Dont send the kids to school


Parents told to keep year 9 children home tomorrow
Tim Donoghue and John Hartevelt
SECONDARY school principals are preparing to send pupils home tomorrow as 16,000 teachers begin nationwide rolling strikes, just weeks out from NCEA exams. Pay talks between the Post Primary Teachers Association and the Education Ministry broke down again yesterday. PPTA members are refusing to teach 59,000 year 9 pupils tomorrow and 63,000 year 11 pupils on Thursday. PPTA president Kate Gainsford confirmed yesterday that members covered by the secondary teachers collective agreement would not supervise pupils. Headmasters have asked that parents and guardians keep affected pupils at home. Prime Minister John Key said the Governments offer to teachers was a good one and he believed parents were on its side. The only people that suffer as a result of lasting industrial action will be those youngsters that are affected and we believe the teachers have rejected an offer that, frankly, was a good offer and they should have accepted, he said. This is the second time the PPTA has walked away from negotiations since bargaining started in May. The strike action comes just weeks out from the first NCEA exams, scheduled to start on November 11. Heretaunga College principal Bruce Hart sent a letter to parents and guardians of year 9 pupils yesterday. We have no means of supervising the students and we are asking parents to keep year 9 students at home for this day on Wednesday, the letter said. Wellington College headmaster Roger Moses said he would send a letter home with his 270 year 9 pupils today advising that no formal education would be available tomorrow. Well be requesting parents and caregivers to keep pupils at home. If this cannot be done well look to organise supervision of some kind for limited numbers of pupils using non-PPTA staff. Secondary Principals Council chairwoman Julia Davidson said principals had told her they did not have enough non-union staff to cope with supervising pupils affected by industrial action. When negotiations started the PPTA asked for a 4 per cent salary increase plus improved conditions such as caps on class sizes, more professional development, an extra 1 per cent KiwiSaver employer contribution, laptops and immunisation against contagious diseases. The PPTA walked away last month from an offer of a 1.5 per cent rise, plus a further 1 per cent the following year, and went on strike for a day. Yesterday, the ministry said it had offered an immediate 0.5 per cent increase and a further 1.9 per cent increase next September, as well as an immediate one-off $1000 payment. The PPTA has walked away from an excellent offer for secondary teachers, education workforce group manager Fiona McTavish said. Ms Gainsford said teachers felt as though they were being mucked around by a government that did not value teachers. If what we are seeing from the other side is the dizzy limit of their thinking around valuing education then there needs to be a rethink, she said. The ministry had simply reshuffled its earlier offers, and had misled the union by promising it had a meaningful new offer. Rolling strikes across year levels would continue next week and through to early December if an agreement was not reached. Mr Key said teachers were asking for more than workers such as nurses and police, and Ms McTavish said their expectations were not realistic.

Parliament gets message on changes to make births safer


Kate Newton
HEALTH

THE REGIONS

Wind farm seen as tourism threat


A wind farm proposed for the Tararua district would disturb a landscape that was frozen in time and epitomises the scenes that sell New Zealand to tourists, the Environment Court is told. NEWS A6

SERIOUS changes to the maternity system are needed to protect babies during birth, Parliament has been told. Compulsory supervision of first-year midwives and a national data unit collecting information on all births are among recommendations from the health select committee, which presented a report yesterday. The report was in response to a petition presented last year by The Good Fight a group of women whose babies died or were left disabled because of problems during birth. The group called for immediate and wide-ranging change in the maternity system. In an unusually detailed response to a petition, the report urges changes, saying serious work needs to be done to improve some aspects of the New Zealand maternity services. Waikato couple Linda and Robert Barlow, whose son died during a delivery that nearly killed Mrs Barlow also, said the report was a wake-up call. Many of the recommendations were common sense, including setting up a database and enforcing supervision for midwifery graduates, Mr Barlow said. The reports recommended changes include making it a requirement, rather than an expectation, that all new midwives complete the College of Midwives first year in practice programme. The committee said it had heard anecdotal evidence that births in which the baby died or was hurt often involved newly qualified midwives working without sufficient experience or support. The committee chairman, National MP Paul Hutchison, said yesterday: Weve made a pretty clear and strong suggestion there that midwives, for at least a year after graduation, should be subject to . . . mentoring and very close supervision. The report also urges the Government to set up an independent national unit to collect information on all births. Currently, information is collected consistently only when a baby is stillborn or dies during or shortly after birth. The Good Fight spokeswoman Jenn Hooper, whose daughter Charley was left severely disabled when her resuscitation at birth was bungled, said a database would be able to capture information about birth-related dis-

WikiLeaks set to fire another rocket


The Pentagon and British Ministry of Defence are bracing for the unauthorised release of 400,000 secret military reports on Iraq. WikiLeaks, the whistleblower website, is expected to disseminate the data simultaneously through selected newspapers in Britain, Germany and the United States. The hoard of classified information is more than four times the size of the data on the Afghanistan war that WikiLeaks published in July. WORLD B1

Mayor turns down credit card


New Wellington Mayor Celia WadeBrown is already saving ratepayers money. On her first working day in the mayoral chair shes turned down a council credit card and an overseas trip. NEWS A2 Living with consequences: Campaigner Jenn Hooper with son Zak and daughter Charley, who is severely disabled because Photo: WAIKATO REGIONAL COMMUNITY NEWSPAPERS her resuscitation at birth was bungled.
abilities and near-misses, which were now left out of reporting. Mrs Hooper said the group was happy with the report, which also recommended better support for families whose babies died or were damaged and greater collaboration between GPs, obstetricians and midwives. We thank the select committee for taking us very, very seriously. College of Midwives chief executive Karen Guilliland said the college welcomed the review, although most of its recommendations were already in place or being adopted. John Tait, chairman of the College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said the college strongly supported a births data unit and greater collaboration. Theres been a lot of animosity [but] its improving a great deal. Dr Hutchison said he was very hopeful the Government would adopt the reports recommendations. A lot of what we are suggesting could be encompassed by the quality initiative that the Government already has. Health Minister Tony Ryall said the ministry had a major piece of work under way to improve maternity services. That included developing a safety and quality programme for maternity services, protocols for care and emergency transfers between clinicians, development of standardised, electronically available maternity notes, and better collection of maternal and newborn information.

More Bondi than Bond


Up to 50 MI6 spies are moving to Australia following a recruitment drive by the Australian Secret Intelligence Service. The British spooks are keen to flock to Australian shores after a pay freeze in Whitehall in line with savage budget cuts threatened by David Camerons government. The Sunday Times says the spies are being offered full Australian citizenship while being allowed to hold on to their British passports. WORLD B2

The show must go on


KIWI dancer Brendan Cole performed on the BBC show Strictly Come Dancing at the weekend, hours after being told his father had died in Christchurch from cancer. Cole, 34, has since flown back to New Zealand. The Kiwi known on the British show as the bad boy of ballroom dancing performed with his partner, singer MichWELLINGTON CITY HUTT VALLEY PORIRUA KAPITI COAST HIGH 16 HIGH 16 HIGH 16 HIGH 16 LOW 8 LOW 8 LOW 9 LOW 9

$28m Lotto winner calls in


THE winner of Saturdays record $28.7 million Powerball jackpot has come forward. NZ Lotteries announced on its Twitter website that someone had contacted the agency about the prize about 1.40pm yesterday. Whos just been talking to someone who won $28 million? Oh wait, me! Still to officially claim, looking forward to hearing more from them, NZ Lotteries said in
GISBORNE FINE NAPIER/HASTINGS FINE PALMERSTON NTH CLOUDY MASTERTON MAINLY FINE

elle Williams, on Saturday night in Britain. He had been given the news earlier in the day that his father, Eddie, had died after suffering from leukaemia for a decade. He did not tell Williams or any of the other contestants. He has now returned to Christchurch, accompanied by his wife, model Zoe Hobbs, and NZPA his brother Scott.

Dancing on: Brendan Cole with Michelle Williams on Strictly Come Dancing. Photo: BBC
AUCKLAND LATE RAIN TAURANGA LATE RAIN TAUPO FINE WHANGANUI CLOUDY

the tweet. Lotteries spokeswoman Kate Richards confirmed the winner(s) had called and had the right serial number. They are just so shocked. They are trying to get their heads around what has happened, she said. The $28.7m ticket was sold at the Papakura Mobil On the Run 24-hour service station. It is the biggest single Powerball prize to NZPA be won in New Zealand.
NEW PLYMOUTH CLOUDY NELSON FINE AT FIRST BLENHEIM FINE AT FIRST CHRISTCHURCH RAIN LATER

WEATHER A12 PUZZLES C8


TWO0247\TBWA

TODAY MOSTLY FINE BUT KEEP THE RAINCOAT HANDY FOR TONIGHT

TOMORROW ITS EVEN COLDER WHEN THE SHOWERS AND WINDS CLEAR

Long term commitment should involve a puppy, not a phone.


With 2degrees Pay Monthly you get the benets of a long-term contract, without being tied into one.

Pay Monthly is here

2degreesmobile.co.nz